Sunday 11 September 2016

Sew Vintage Magazine's 1950's Dress

The latest copy of The Vintage Sewing Magazine came with a 1950's dress pattern. With an interesting cross feature at the front and a skirt which can be worn both with and without a petticoat. 

Fabric- I decided to make my version with a crinkle satin polyester in a burgundy colour. Incredibly slippy but a very pretty colour.

What else will you need- The dress needs a invisible zip and a little bit on interfacing for the facings.

A Little Tip- If you need step by step instructions on how to insert underarm reinforcement squares,  I found a useful tutorial on Handmade Jane's Blog. This post explain the processes a lot better than the pattern, with lots of useful pictures.

Shape and fit- There quite a lot of fabric in the bodice and I would probably take it in a little bit more if I was to make the dress again. 

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the dress. It has a lovely drape to it and a great new addition to my wardrobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment